Chiropractic: A Gentle & Effective Headache Treatment
Headaches are one of the most common reasons that people seek out Dr. Mike Sorensen, a Redmond Oregon chiropractor. Perhaps more than any other health problem, headaches can reduce your quality of life and keep you from enjoying the activities and experiences you cherish most. Read on to learn more about the most common causes of headaches and how chiropractic care can help treat your headaches without the use of drugs or surgery.
Of all the possible causes of headaches, it’s musculoskeletal and biomechanical issues that are most often responsible for this painful (and sometimes debilitating) health problem. Factors that may contribute to a headache include:
- Joint Dysfunction: Restrictions or adhesions around the joints in your cervical spine (i.e., neck) can lead to improper joint movement and headaches.
- Muscle Imbalances: Variations in muscle tissue tone throughout your neck and upper body can contribute to headache onset.
- Postural Strain: Poor posture is a leading biomechanical cause of headaches, due to the incredible strain it can place on your cervical spine structures and tissues.
- Past Injuries: Old neck injuries can recur, or flare up, causing headaches that range in intensity from mild to severe.
- Past Untreated Injuries: Old neck injuries that go untreated (especially whiplash) can start a disease process that causes structural changes over time and eventually headaches.
- TMJ Dysfunction: Improper tracking or functioning of your temporomandibular joint (TMJ) can cause jaw pain and headaches.
- Whiplash: The rapid neck movement that occurs in motor vehicle accidents (especially rear-end car accidents) can cause soft tissue injuries, joint damage, and headaches.
How Can Chiropractic Help?
Chiropractic care has historically been successful in reducing both the frequency and severity of headaches among headache sufferers. Dr. Mike Sorensen, a top chiropractor in Redmond, Oregon, uses gentle, focused chiropractic adjustments, or joint manipulations, to address problem areas in the cervical spine that may be contributing to your headaches. Cervical spine adjustments (along with other manual, or hands-on, therapies focused on the neck, jaw, and cranial bones) can help with the following:
- Reducing the occurrence and intensity of headaches
- Restoring normal cervical spine motion and joint function
- Resolving scar tissue or adhesions in cervical spine soft tissues
- Balancing neck muscle tone and improving posture
Make an initial appointment with Dr. Mike Sorensen (chiropractor Redmond Oregon) to have the underlying cause of your headache assessed and treated. Dr. Sorensen is a musculoskeletal health specialist experienced in treating headaches using gentle and proven techniques. Dr. Sorensen’s main goal is to alleviate headache pain in a timely and effective manner using natural, noninvasive approaches.