Sore throat, cough, sinus congestion, headache, aches, fatigue. It’s that time of year again. Cold and flu season. Unless you live in a bubble, you will most likely get “the crud” at least once every year. I’ve already seen several patients over the last couple of months who were struggling with the symptoms of this year’s bugs. Although it is nearly impossible to avoid getting the cold or flu, there are numerous things you can do to prevent infection and heal more quickly.
• Wash your hands — Ultimately, this is the most effective way at preventing the spread of germs.
• Eat a whole foods diet — Avoid foods that are detrimental to your immune system including processed foods, sugar, and dairy.
• Stay hydrated — Drink half your body weight in ounces of water every day.
• Influenzinum homeopathic – take 2-3 pellets every month through cold & flu season.
• Probiotics – Having well established good bacteria supports your immune system and fights infection more efficiently.
• Prepare – Stock up on all the stuff you might need when you get sick. I always try to have the essentials ready in my medicine cabinet so I don’t have to run out to the store when I’m feeling my worst. This also prevents further spread of disease!
• Avoid sugar and dairy — Sugar feeds the invading organisms and dairy is mucus producing.
• Stay hydrated!
• Vitamin C – 500 – 1,000 mg every 2 hours, to bowel tolerance.
• Herbs — There are numerous plants that have immune supportive properties. My favorites are: elderberry, astragalus, goldenseal, and echinacea. You can find herbal formulas that are specific to the region of the body that the infection has affected. There are some plants that are effective at resolving a cough while others are more helpful for a sore throat. There are numerous forms that plant medicine can be delivered through such as teas, capsule, tincture, and syrups.
• Influenzinum homeopathic – Take at the first sign of illness.
• Netipot — flushes through your sinuses to combat lingering sinus and ear congestion.
• Stay home and rest!